A cousin of mine lent me some DVDs he bought while spending a year in the United States. One evening, we wanted to watch them on our standalone DVD player, a Philips DVP3360. After snuggling onto the couch and putting the DVD in, we did not get to see our movie. No. We saw a "Wrong Region" message, and that was it. Evening gone.
Thank you very much, content industry. I love the way you try to make sure your products suck.
Nevertheless I am able to watch the DVDs now, because there is a hidden region code change menu:
- Make sure no DVD is in the tray
- Power on
- Press SETUP
- Navigate to the Preferences icon (the one at the bottom)
- Press numerical keys: 1 3 8 9 3 1
- Welcome to the region selection menu
- Press ▲ (up) until you see "0" (region free)
- Press OK
- Watch any DVD you like